Call for nominations: L4L Award 2021
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award aims to honor lawyers who have made significant contributions to the protection of the rule of law and human rights in challenging environments. Through the Award, Lawyers for Lawyers generates public recognition for the work and outstanding achievements of lawyers at risk. The prize consists of a special token as well as a donation of € 10.000.
Nominations must be submitted using the nomination form provided below. Please note that incomplete nomination forms will not be taken into consideration. Please take into account the maximum number of words indicated under each section when filling in the nomination form. It should be noted that additional information may be requested after the submission of the nomination form.
In case you need assistance or have any questions, please contact us via one of the above mentioned email addresses.
Download the nomination form here
The closing date for submission of nominations for the Lawyers for Lawyers Award 2021 is 16 April 2021, 23:59 PM CET
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award will be presented for the sixth time in Amsterdam in September 2021. The independent jury, chaired by mrs. Heikelien Verrijn Stuart, decides which lawyer will receive the award. When awarding the Lawyers for Lawyers Award, the jury applies the following criteria:
- All lawyers, or lawyers collectives, who are prevented from carrying out their work independently – or who are at considerable risk – are eligible for nomination.
- Only practicing lawyers, or people who practiced until recently, are eligible for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- In order to qualify for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award, nominees must make an exceptional effort to promote the rule of law and human rights.
- There are no requirements for the nationality or country of origin of nominees.
- When appointing a winner, the jury can give preference to lesser known lawyers because they can benefit from the recognition and publicity generated by the Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- Lawyers who were nominated for earlier editions of the Lawyers for Lawyers Award may be re-nominated.
- Anyone can nominate a lawyer or lawyer collective for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award. However, lawyers or lawyer collectives cannot nominate themselves.
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award aims to honor lawyers who have made significant contributions to the protection of the rule of law and human rights in challenging environments. They face threats and harassment as reprisal for helping others. Because they represent clients in sensitive cases or speak out against rights violations. Through the Award, Lawyers for Lawyers generates public recognition for the work and outstanding achievements of lawyers at risk. Former laureates include Alec Muchadehama from Zimbabwe, Magamed Abubakarov from the Russian Federation, Jorge Molano from Colombia, Sirikan Charoensiri from Thailand and Selçuk Kozağaçlı from Turkey.
Report: Attacks on Human Rights Lawyers in Zimbabwe
Lawyers for Lawyers and Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR) have launched the joint report “Attacks on Human Rights Lawyers in Zimbabwe”. The report reflects on the worrisome trend of increased systematic arrests of a number of Zimbabwean lawyers, andLees verder
An entire profession on trial
Press release issued by the legal Fact Finding Mission, taking place in Istanbul from 15 September to 20 September, to monitor and observe current mass trials against lawyers in Turkey. A group of approximately 30 lawyers from Belgium, France, Germany,Lees verder
Uganda drops money laundering charges against Nicholas Opiyo
Lawyers for Lawyers welcomes the news that the charges against lawyer and human rights defender Nicholas Opiyo were dropped on Monday 13 September 2021. Lawyers for Lawyers has previously issued a joint statement on Mr Opiyo’s behalf in January 2021.Lees verder
Study Association NSO Eques raises €3869 for Lawyers for Lawyers.
NSO Eques has raised €3869 for Lawyers for Lawyers through a sponsored sports event. On 27 August 2021, study association NSO Eques from Nijmegen organized a sports event to raise money for Lawyers for Lawyers. The twenty business law studentsLees verder