Call for nominations: L4L Award 2021
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award aims to honor lawyers who have made significant contributions to the protection of the rule of law and human rights in challenging environments. Through the Award, Lawyers for Lawyers generates public recognition for the work and outstanding achievements of lawyers at risk. The prize consists of a special token as well as a donation of € 10.000.
Nominations must be submitted using the nomination form provided below. Please note that incomplete nomination forms will not be taken into consideration. Please take into account the maximum number of words indicated under each section when filling in the nomination form. It should be noted that additional information may be requested after the submission of the nomination form.
In case you need assistance or have any questions, please contact us via one of the above mentioned email addresses.
Download the nomination form here
The closing date for submission of nominations for the Lawyers for Lawyers Award 2021 is 16 April 2021, 23:59 PM CET
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award will be presented for the sixth time in Amsterdam in September 2021. The independent jury, chaired by mrs. Heikelien Verrijn Stuart, decides which lawyer will receive the award. When awarding the Lawyers for Lawyers Award, the jury applies the following criteria:
- All lawyers, or lawyers collectives, who are prevented from carrying out their work independently – or who are at considerable risk – are eligible for nomination.
- Only practicing lawyers, or people who practiced until recently, are eligible for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- In order to qualify for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award, nominees must make an exceptional effort to promote the rule of law and human rights.
- There are no requirements for the nationality or country of origin of nominees.
- When appointing a winner, the jury can give preference to lesser known lawyers because they can benefit from the recognition and publicity generated by the Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- Lawyers who were nominated for earlier editions of the Lawyers for Lawyers Award may be re-nominated.
- Anyone can nominate a lawyer or lawyer collective for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award. However, lawyers or lawyer collectives cannot nominate themselves.
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award aims to honor lawyers who have made significant contributions to the protection of the rule of law and human rights in challenging environments. They face threats and harassment as reprisal for helping others. Because they represent clients in sensitive cases or speak out against rights violations. Through the Award, Lawyers for Lawyers generates public recognition for the work and outstanding achievements of lawyers at risk. Former laureates include Alec Muchadehama from Zimbabwe, Magamed Abubakarov from the Russian Federation, Jorge Molano from Colombia, Sirikan Charoensiri from Thailand and Selçuk Kozağaçlı from Turkey.
Vietnamese lawyers Dang Dinh Manh, Dao Kim Lan and Nguyen Van Mieng forced to flee their country
Laywers for Lawyers is concerned about the judicial harassment of the Vietnamese lawyers Dang Dinh Manh, Dao Kim Lan and Nguyen Van Mieng. The three lawyers were summoned by the police in the Long An province on suspicion of abusingLees verder
Oud bestuurslid Joost Italianer overleden
Foto: Gregor Servais Lawyers for Lawyers ontving het verdrietige nieuws dat Joost Italianer op 9 september 2023 na een langdurige ziekte is overleden. Joost was advocaat bij NautaDutilh, begenadigd jazzpianist en, van 2004 tot 2015, bestuurslid van Lawyers for Lawyers.Lees verder
Philippine lawyer Maria Alzate killed in broad daylight
Atty. Maria Alzate, a Philippine lawyer known for defending the poor, was killed on Thursday September 14, in Abra province, in the north of the country. In broad daylight, two unidentified assassins on a motorcycle shot her at close range,Lees verder
Zimbabwean lawyers Tapiwa Muchineripi and Doug Coltart arrested
L4L is worried about the news of Zimbabwean lawyers Tapiwa Muchineripi and Doug Coltart being arrested in the evening of 4 September. The lawyers were defending their hospitalized clients, before they were arrested on suspicion of obstructing justice. Their clients,Lees verder