Call for nominations: L4L Award 2021
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award aims to honor lawyers who have made significant contributions to the protection of the rule of law and human rights in challenging environments. Through the Award, Lawyers for Lawyers generates public recognition for the work and outstanding achievements of lawyers at risk. The prize consists of a special token as well as a donation of € 10.000.
Nominations must be submitted using the nomination form provided below. Please note that incomplete nomination forms will not be taken into consideration. Please take into account the maximum number of words indicated under each section when filling in the nomination form. It should be noted that additional information may be requested after the submission of the nomination form.
Please send the complete nomination form, including the required attached documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We will confirm receipt of your submission.
In case you need assistance or have any questions, please contact us via one of the above mentioned email addresses.
Download the nomination form here
The closing date for submission of nominations for the Lawyers for Lawyers Award 2021 is 16 April 2021, 23:59 PM CET
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award will be presented for the sixth time in Amsterdam in September 2021. The independent jury, chaired by mrs. Heikelien Verrijn Stuart, decides which lawyer will receive the award. When awarding the Lawyers for Lawyers Award, the jury applies the following criteria:
- All lawyers, or lawyers collectives, who are prevented from carrying out their work independently – or who are at considerable risk – are eligible for nomination.
- Only practicing lawyers, or people who practiced until recently, are eligible for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- In order to qualify for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award, nominees must make an exceptional effort to promote the rule of law and human rights.
- There are no requirements for the nationality or country of origin of nominees.
- When appointing a winner, the jury can give preference to lesser known lawyers because they can benefit from the recognition and publicity generated by the Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- Lawyers who were nominated for earlier editions of the Lawyers for Lawyers Award may be re-nominated.
- Anyone can nominate a lawyer or lawyer collective for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award. However, lawyers or lawyer collectives cannot nominate themselves.
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award aims to honor lawyers who have made significant contributions to the protection of the rule of law and human rights in challenging environments. They face threats and harassment as reprisal for helping others. Because they represent clients in sensitive cases or speak out against rights violations. Through the Award, Lawyers for Lawyers generates public recognition for the work and outstanding achievements of lawyers at risk. Former laureates include Alec Muchadehama from Zimbabwe, Magamed Abubakarov from the Russian Federation, Jorge Molano from Colombia, Sirikan Charoensiri from Thailand and Selçuk Kozağaçlı from Turkey.
More information on former Award laureates can be found here.
Concerns about Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Bill
On 21 March 2023, the Ugandan parliament passed the Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2023. The Bill is claimed to “protect the traditional family” and introduces severe punishments for “homosexual acts”. It even introduced the death penalty. Lawyers for Lawyers is concernedLees verder
Chen Wuquan released from prison
Lawyers for Lawyers welcomes the news that Chinese human rights lawyer Chen Wuquan has been released from prison after five years on February 8, 2023. Chen Wuquan was taken into custody on 9 February 2018, following his “War to ProtectLees verder
Joint Statement on the harassment of Zimbabwean lawyer Mr. Kudzayi Erick Kadzere
Lawyers for Lawyers, the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute, and Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada are concerned about the judicial and physical harassment of Mr. Kudzayi Erick Kadzere. As a lawyer, Mr. Kadzere works on human rights cases and isLees verder
Dag van de Bedreigde Advocaat – Afghanistan
24 januari 2021 is de jaarlijkse ‘Dag van de Bedreigde Advocaat’. Dit jaar staat de dag in het teken van advocaten uit Afghanistan die vanwege hun legitieme werkzaamheden in de problemen komen. In het kader van deze dag worden op dinsdagLees verder