Discussion on the UN Guidelines for Lawyers in Support of Peaceful Assemblies
Join the online discussion on the United Nations Guidelines for Lawyers in Support of Peaceful Assemblies from 13:30- 15:00 CET on 24 January 2022. The event is co-sponsored by Lawyers for Lawyers.
The Guidelines for Lawyers in Support to Peaceful Assemblies (henceforth, ‘the Guidelines’), presented at the 47th session of the United Nations (UN) Human Rights Council by the UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Assembly and Association Clément N. Voule provide a set of key principles on the role of lawyers in upholding the rights to freedom of assembly and association, as well as a non-exhaustive list of practical recommendations for lawyers, aimed at supporting them in their work facilitating access to justice in the context of peaceful assemblies. As such, this groundbreaking document represents a concrete means to promote the respect, protection, and fulfilment of the right to freedom of association and assembly (FoAA).
This event aims at promoting the use of these Guidelines within legal professions.
The discussion notably aims at:
- Understanding access to justice as a vital component of the rule of law
- Discussing the key role of lawyer and legal practitioners in facilitating, promoting and protecting the right to freedom of assembly and association
- Promoting the use of the Guidelines among lawyers and legal professions, including via bar associations
- Getting inputs from lawyers and bar associations on the guidelines to ensure that they serve to be a useful, practical tool for the lawyers engaged in supporting peaceful assemblies (before, during and after) with the view to inspiring new legal initiatives in this area
- Identifying new legal partnerships and enhancing engagement with judiciaries, law societies, bar associations, legal clinics and law firms, among other stakeholders.
This event will take place online on our Zoom platform, with Spanish and English interpretation.
- Felix Kirchmeier, Executive Director, Geneva Human Rights Platform
- Sandrine Giroud, Geneva Bar Association
- Phillip Riblett, Legal Adviser, US Mission to the United Nations
- Clément N. Voule, UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Assembly and Association and Researcher, Geneva Academy
- Baroness Helena Kennedy QC, Director, International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI)
- Dennis Kwak, Former Member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong (Legal), and Senior Fellow at Harvard Kennedy School, Ash Centre
- Alejandro Lanz, Co-Director of Temblores, Colombia.
Click here to register for the event.
Co-Organizers and Co-Sponsors
This event is co-organized by the Geneva Human Right Platform, the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI), the Geneva Bar Association, the UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Assembly and Association, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the United States Permanent Mission in Geneva and the International Commission of Jurists.
It is also co-sponsored by the American Bar Association, Lawyers for Lawyers, Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada, CIVICUS, The Vance centre of the New York Bar Association, Media Defense, Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights.
Vacature relatiemanager Lawyers for Lawyers zet zich in voor een vrije en onafhankelijke advocatuur. Waar dan ook ter wereld. Ze verbinden advocaten in Nederland met vakgenoten die bedreigd of vervolgd worden vanwege hun werk. Waar de rechten en vrijheid vanLees verder
International Fair Trial Day 2023 and call for nominations for the Ebru Timtik Award
The right to a fair trial has long been recognised by the international community as a fundamental human right. Without a fair trial, every individual risks becoming the victim of a miscarriage of justice, either as an innocent suspect wronglyLees verder
Tunisia – Release “Lawyers Under the Watch”
OMCT Joint Paper Addressing the Increasing Number of Prosecutions Against Lawyers in Tunisia Lawyers for Lawyers is pleased to announce the publication of a joint paper titled “Lawyers Under the Watch,” a comprehensive examination of the growing challenges legal professionalsLees verder
Vacature student-stage, 16-36 uur per week
This vacancy has closed. Follow our LinkedIn to stay updated on new vacancies. Deze vacature is nu gesloten. Volg onze LinkedIn voor nieuwe vacatures. ——————————————————————————————————————–English below Gemiddeld 16-36 uur/wk, per 1 februari 2024 Wil jij het verschil maken voor bedreigdeLees verder