Joint statement ongoing trial Hejaaz Hizbullah
Lawyers for Lawyers, the Bar Human Rights Committee, the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Committee (IBAHRI), International Commission of Jurists, the Law Society of England and Wales, and Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada, the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) are concerned about the ongoing violations of fair trial rights in the ongoing trial of Sri Lankan lawyer and human rights defender Hejaaz Hizbullah. Key witnesses have been subject to threat, coercion, intimidation and arrest.
We have strong reasons to believe Mr Hizbullah is being persecuted for his work to defend the rights of persons from the Muslim community in Sri Lanka in his capacity as a lawyer and human rights defender. Mr Hizbullah’s next trial date is scheduled for 14 July 2023, but given recent reports of witness intimidation and coercion, we have grave concerns that he will be denied a fair trial.
In view of the above, we urge the government of Sri Lanka to:
- Ensure that Mr Hizbullah is afforded all the elements of a fair trial under international law;
- End all acts of harassment against Mr Hizbullah;
- Immediately stop the arbitrary arrest, threat of arrest, coercion and other intimidation of witnesses in his case;
- Immediately release the remaining two potential defence witnesses who were arrested on 18 May;
- Reform the PTA and bring it in line with Sri Lanka’s international human rights obligations;
- Ensure that all lawyers and human rights defenders in Sri Lanka are able to carry out their legitimate professional activities without fear of reprisals and free of undue interference.
The full statement can be read here.
Meer nieuws uit Sri-Lanka
Ongoing trial of Sri Lankan lawyer Hejaaz Hizbullah
Lawyers for Lawyers remains committed to closely monitoring the proceedings involving Mr. Hizbullah, a dedicated lawyer and human rights advocate in Sri Lanka. These proceedings have exposed substantial concerns concerning due process and human rights within his case, underscoring theLees verder
Letter on ongoing trial Hejaaz Hizbullah
On 8 May 2023, Lawyers for Lawyers has sent a letter to the Attorney General of Sri Lanka to express our concern about the ongoing trial of lawyer and human rights defender Hejaaz Hizbullah. Hejaaz Hizbullah is a minority rightsLees verder
Oral statement to the Human Rights Committee on Sri Lanka
On 6 March, Lawyers for Lawyers delivered an oral statement on Sri Lanka during the 137th session of the Human Rights Committee. During this session, the Human Rights Committee reviewed Sri Lanka’s compliance with its international human rights obligations, and moreLees verder
Concerns about the ongoing trial of Sri Lankan human rights lawyer Hejaaz Hizbullah
The trial of Mr. Hizbullah, a minority rights advocate and legal counsel for many Muslim victims of human rights violations, started on 28 January 2022 at the Puttalam High Court and has been postponed four times since February 2022 dueLees verder