Mission, Vision, Core Values and Goals
Promote and protect the independence of lawyers
Lawyers for Lawyers promotes and preserves the independence of the legal profession worldwide and defends the professional rights of lawyers to provide legal services safely and independently, without fear of reprisal. We safeguard the lawyers’ role in protecting the rule of law and human rights and ensuring effective justice for all by acting wherever lawyers are under threat.
In doing so, we refer to internationally recognized human rights laws and standards, including the UN Basic Principles on the Role of Lawyers.
Every lawyer can practice law independently without fear of reprisal
We strive for a world where lawyers can practice law freely and independently to effectively fulfil their role in upholding the rule of law and the protection of human rights. Lawyers should be able to do their job without improper interference or fear of reprisal. Always and everywhere. Also, when that does not suit the government, the bar association, or the establishment.
Put lawyers under threat at the heart of our work
When we work to promote and protect the independence of lawyers, we are committed to:
- Put lawyers under threat at the heart of our work.
- Provide support to meet expressed needs by lawyers whose professional guarantees, immunities, and privileges are violated.
- Analyse root causes of why lawyers face reprisals, guided by local lawyers and other stakeholders.
- Identify the most effective ways to achieve tangible impact and lasting progress.
- Act independently, objectively, professionally, and with integrity.
- Leverage resources through collaboration and coordination with other actors working toward common goals.
- Improve outcomes through the creation of solidarity within the community.
Promote and protect a safe and enabling environment for lawyers
We pursue three complementary and interrelated goals to enable lawyers to fulfil their professional duties and responsibilities safely and independently, and consequently protect and preserve the universal right to have access to legal services provided by an independent legal profession.
- ENDING REPRISALS
We support lawyers and organisations of lawyers to be agents of change for lawyer independence in their home countries, including towards ending, mitigating, or preventing infringements of their professional rights and reprisals against them resulting from discharging their functions, as well as ensuring accountability where such acts occur.
- STRENGTHENING PROTECTIONS
We engage with stakeholders and promote the key principles underpinning the legal profession to strengthen effective protections for the independent functioning and security of lawyers in laws, policies, and practices at international, regional, and national levels.
- LEVERAGING IMPACT
We collaborate with actors working toward common goals and create community solidarity with lawyers at risk across the world to leverage impact and achieve better outcomes.
For more information, click here for our Strategic Plan 2022-2025.