Mission, Vision, Core Values and Goals
Promote and protect the independence of lawyers
Our mission is to promote and protect the independence of the legal profession through the support and empowerment of lawyers who face reprisals, interferences and restrictions because of their work.
In doing so, we refer to internationally recognized human rights laws and standards, including the UN Basic Principles on the Role of Lawyers.
Every lawyer can practice law independently
We strive for a world where lawyers can practice law independently to effectively fulfil their role in upholding the rule of law and the protection of human rights.
Lawyers should be able to do their job without improper interference or any fear of reprisal. Always and everywhere. Also, when that does not suit the government, the bar association or the establishment.
Put lawyers under threat at the heart of our work
When we work to promote and protect the independence of lawyers, we are committed to:
- Put lawyers under threat at the heart of our work;
- Provide support to meet expressed needs by lawyers whose rights are violated;
- Analyse why lawyers face reprisals, guided by local lawyers and other stakeholders;
- Identify the most effective ways to achieve tangible impact and lasting progress;
- Act independently, objectively, professionally, and with integrity;
- Act in coordination and solidarity with other actors working toward common goals.
Promote and protect a safe and enabling environment for lawyers
We pursue three complementary and interrelated goals to enable lawyers to fulfil their professional duties effectively:
1. ENDING REPRISALS
Ending, mitigating or preventing reprisals against lawyers resulting from discharging their functions and ensuring accountability where such reprisals occur.
2. STRENGTHENING PROTECTIONS
Strengthening effective protections for the independent functioning and safety of lawyers in laws, policies and practices.
3. ENHANCING SOLIDARITY
Enhancing solidarity of lawyers, other stakeholders, and of the public with lawyers at risk across the world.
Read more in our Policy Plan 2018-2021.