Vacancy lawyer-volunteer focus group South Asia
On average 2 hours per week
Do you want to make a difference for colleagues at risk? For lawyers who stand up for the rights of others? Do you want to build a network with lawyers from small and large firms? And would you like to work with a young, dynamic and enthusiastic NGO team on projects with an international focus? This is your chance!
Lawyers for Lawyers (L4L) supports lawyers at risk around the world. We help lawyers to perform their duties as protectors of the rule of law freely and independently and are committed to preventing and ending prosecution of lawyers. Lawyers for Lawyers has an active board, a small office and a network of around 50 lawyers in the Netherlands (divided into focus groups that focus on certain countries / continents), who voluntarily support more than 100 colleagues around the world.
Focus group South Asia
Due to an increasing number of requests from the South Asia region, Lawyers for Lawyers is looking for six new volunteers for the new South Asia focus group. The group will focus on Pakistan, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
The focus group takes responsibility for the following tasks:
- Research into the position of lawyers in the region;
- Contact with lawyers under threat in the region;
- Establish and expand our network in the focus countries;
- Connect and interact with relevant partner organizations;
- Draft letters, papers, report, UPR’s for advocacy purposes;
- Perform urgent actions, such as writing letters, drafting a joint statement, activating the network for urgent lobbying and (local) support;
- Preparing and attending focus group meetings.
What do we ask?
- You are a lawyer or trainee lawyer with an interest in human rights;
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch or one of the languages from the South Asia region is appreciated;
- You are available for 8 hours per month.
What do we offer?
- You will provide support to colleagues under threat, and you will make a difference;
- You will become part of an international network of lawyers;
- You will receive on-boarding training and follow up courses (PO points);
- Invitations to Lawyers for Lawyers events;
Please contact our board member Milena Latuputty (email@example.com).
Harassment of Lawyers Collective
On 11 July 2019, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) raided the offices of the Indian human rights organisation Lawyers Collective and the homes of lawyers and founders of the organisation Indira Jaising and Anand Grover. This was reported by Frontline Defenders. Lawyers CollectiveLees verder
4th Anniversary of the ‘709 Crackdown’
Today, 9 July 2019, marks 4 years since the start of the “709 Crackdown”. On this day in 2015, an unprecedented and seemingly well-coordinated detention campaign of a large number of human rights lawyers and defenders in China was initiated.Lees verder
Abu al-Khair to receive ABA Award
On 21 June 2019, the American Bar Association announced that the 2019 ABA International Human Rights Award will be awarded to Waleed Abu al-Khair, who is currently serving a 15 year prison sentence. The award honours his his extraordinary work toLees verder