Vacancy lawyer-volunteer focus group South Asia
On average 2 hours per week
Do you want to make a difference for colleagues at risk? For lawyers who stand up for the rights of others? Do you want to build a network with lawyers from small and large firms? And would you like to work with a young, dynamic and enthusiastic NGO team on projects with an international focus? This is your chance!
Lawyers for Lawyers (L4L) supports lawyers at risk around the world. We help lawyers to perform their duties as protectors of the rule of law freely and independently and are committed to preventing and ending prosecution of lawyers. Lawyers for Lawyers has an active board, a small office and a network of around 50 lawyers in the Netherlands (divided into focus groups that focus on certain countries / continents), who voluntarily support more than 100 colleagues around the world.
Focus group South Asia
Due to an increasing number of requests from the South Asia region, Lawyers for Lawyers is looking for six new volunteers for the new South Asia focus group. The group will focus on Pakistan, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
The focus group takes responsibility for the following tasks:
- Research into the position of lawyers in the region;
- Contact with lawyers under threat in the region;
- Establish and expand our network in the focus countries;
- Connect and interact with relevant partner organizations;
- Draft letters, papers, report, UPR’s for advocacy purposes;
- Perform urgent actions, such as writing letters, drafting a joint statement, activating the network for urgent lobbying and (local) support;
- Preparing and attending focus group meetings.
What do we ask?
- You are a lawyer or trainee lawyer with an interest in human rights;
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch or one of the languages from the South Asia region is appreciated;
- You are available for 8 hours per month
- You are based in the Netherlands.
What do we offer?
- You will provide support to colleagues under threat, and you will make a difference;
- You will become part of an international network of lawyers;
- You will receive on-boarding training and follow up courses (PO points);
- Invitations to Lawyers for Lawyers events;
Please send us an email at: email@example.com.
Joint statement calling for the release of Li Yuhan
On the International Women Human Rights Defenders Day, Lawyers for Lawyers joined by a large group of organisations is calling for the release of Chinese human rights lawyer Li Yuhan. The full statement can be found here. The 29 Principles,Lees verder
Joint statement on behalf of various international bar associations and lawyers’ organisations on the deteriorating human rights situation in the Islamic Republic of Iran
The International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute, the International Observatory for Lawyers in Danger, the Union Internationale des Avocats, Lawyers Rights Watch Canada, ASF Suisse, and Lawyers for Lawyers call on the Islamic Republic of Iran and its agencies toLees verder
Seminar – Day of the Endangered Lawyer (Afghanistan)
The Law Society of England and Wales and Lawyers for Lawyers are organising an online seminar for the Day of the Endangered Lawyer 2023, focusing on Afghanistan.The seminar will take place from 16:00 – 17.30 (CET) on the 19th ofLees verder
Concluding observations UN Human Rights Committee on the Philippines
On 10 and 11 October 2022, the UN Human Rights Committee reviewed the Philippines’ compliance with its international human rights obligations. On 3 November 2022, the Committee issued the concluding observations of this review. In the concluding observations the CommitteeLees verder