Vacancy lawyer-volunteer focus group South Asia
On average 2 hours per week
Do you want to make a difference for colleagues at risk? For lawyers who stand up for the rights of others? Do you want to build a network with lawyers from small and large firms? And would you like to work with a young, dynamic and enthusiastic NGO team on projects with an international focus? This is your chance!
Lawyers for Lawyers (L4L) supports lawyers at risk around the world. We help lawyers to perform their duties as protectors of the rule of law freely and independently and are committed to preventing and ending prosecution of lawyers. Lawyers for Lawyers has an active board, a small office and a network of around 50 lawyers in the Netherlands (divided into focus groups that focus on certain countries / continents), who voluntarily support more than 100 colleagues around the world.
Focus group South Asia
Due to an increasing number of requests from the South Asia region, Lawyers for Lawyers is looking for six new volunteers for the new South Asia focus group. The group will focus on Pakistan, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
The focus group takes responsibility for the following tasks:
- Research into the position of lawyers in the region;
- Contact with lawyers under threat in the region;
- Establish and expand our network in the focus countries;
- Connect and interact with relevant partner organizations;
- Draft letters, papers, report, UPR’s for advocacy purposes;
- Perform urgent actions, such as writing letters, drafting a joint statement, activating the network for urgent lobbying and (local) support;
- Preparing and attending focus group meetings.
What do we ask?
- You are a lawyer or trainee lawyer with an interest in human rights;
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch or one of the languages from the South Asia region is appreciated;
- You are available for 8 hours per month
- You are based in the Netherlands.
What do we offer?
- You will provide support to colleagues under threat, and you will make a difference;
- You will become part of an international network of lawyers;
- You will receive on-boarding training and follow up courses (PO points);
- Invitations to Lawyers for Lawyers events;
Please send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advocacy charter Egypt
Lawyers for Lawyers submitted an advocacy charter to several country delegations to draw attention to the situation of lawyers in Egypt with regard to the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Egypt. In March 2019 Lawyers for Lawyers submitted a reportLees verder
Lawyer shot and injured
On 6 November 2019, another shocking incident involving a Dutch lawyer occurred. Philippe Schol, a lawyer working in Enschede, was shot and seriously injured by unknown assailants just across the border in Germany. An investigation into the incident and possible linksLees verder
Mohamed El-Baqer arrested
On 29 September 2019, the Egyptian authorities arrested lawyer and human rights defender Mohamed El-Baqer in Cairo. The current place of his detention remains unknown. This was reported by Frontline Defenders. Mohamed El-Baqer is an Egyptian lawyer and human rightsLees verder
L4L geschokt door liquidatie advocaat
Lawyers for Lawyers is geschokt door de liquidatie van advocaat Derk Wiersum (44). Onze gedachten gaan uit naar zijn nabestaanden en familie. Derk Wiersum werd op 18 september in Amsterdam in de uitoefening van zijn beroep doodgeschoten. Hij was onder meer de advocaat vanLees verder