LAWYERS FOR LAWYERS AWARD 2019
The Lawyers for Lawyers Award aims to honor lawyers who have made significant contributions to the protection of the rule of law and human rights in challenging environments. They face threats and harassment as reprisal for helping others. Because they represent clients in sensitive cases or speak out against rights violations. Through the Award, Lawyers for Lawyers generates public recognition for the work and outstanding achievements of lawyers at risk.
The closing date for submission of nominations is 1 March 2019, 23:59 PM CET.
When awarding the Lawyers for Lawyers Award, the jury applies the following conditions:
- All lawyers, or lawyers collectives, who are prevented from carrying out their work independently – or who are at considerable risk – are eligible for nomination.
- Only practicing lawyers, or people who practiced until recently, are eligible for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- In order to qualify for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award, nominees must make an exceptional effort to promote the rule of law and human rights.
- There are no requirements for the nationality or country of origin of nominees.
- When appointing a winner, the jury can give preference to unknown lawyers because they can benefit from the recognition and publicity generated by the Lawyers for Lawyers Award.
- Lawyers who were nominated for earlier editions of the Lawyers for Lawyers Award may be re-nominated.
- Anyone can nominate a lawyer or lawyer collective for a Lawyers for Lawyers Award. However, lawyers or lawyer collectives can not nominate themselves.