Vacancy lawyer-volunteer focus group South Asia
On average 2 hours per week
Do you want to make a difference for colleagues at risk? For lawyers who stand up for the rights of others? Do you want to build a network with lawyers from small and large firms? And would you like to work with a young, dynamic and enthusiastic NGO team on projects with an international focus? This is your chance!
Lawyers for Lawyers (L4L) supports lawyers at risk around the world. We help lawyers to perform their duties as protectors of the rule of law freely and independently and are committed to preventing and ending prosecution of lawyers. Lawyers for Lawyers has an active board, a small office and a network of around 50 lawyers in the Netherlands (divided into focus groups that focus on certain countries / continents), who voluntarily support more than 100 colleagues around the world.
Focus group South Asia
Due to an increasing number of requests from the South Asia region, Lawyers for Lawyers is looking for six new volunteers for the new South Asia focus group. The group will focus on Pakistan, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
The focus group takes responsibility for the following tasks:
- Research into the position of lawyers in the region;
- Contact with lawyers under threat in the region;
- Establish and expand our network in the focus countries;
- Connect and interact with relevant partner organizations;
- Draft letters, papers, report, UPR’s for advocacy purposes;
- Perform urgent actions, such as writing letters, drafting a joint statement, activating the network for urgent lobbying and (local) support;
- Preparing and attending focus group meetings.
What do we ask?
- You are a lawyer or trainee lawyer with an interest in human rights;
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch or one of the languages from the South Asia region is appreciated;
- You are available for 8 hours per month
- You are based in the Netherlands.
What do we offer?
- You will provide support to colleagues under threat, and you will make a difference;
- You will become part of an international network of lawyers;
- You will receive on-boarding training and follow up courses (PO points);
- Invitations to Lawyers for Lawyers events;
Please send us an email on: email@example.com
Joint letter on the arrest and detention of Maksim Znak and Illia Salei
In a joint letter, Lawyers for Lawyers and the Law Society of England and Wales have expressed concern about the arrest and detention of lawyers Maksim Znak and Illia Salei in the Republic of Belarus. According to our information, MaksimLees verder
Joint letter on judicial harassment of Henderson Maldonado
Growing concern as Venezuela continues to target human rights movement Photo taken from Front Line Defenders Front Line Defenders and Lawyers for Lawyers are deeply concerned about the ongoing targeting of human rights defenders, including lawyers, and non-profit organisations, inLees verder
One year since the arrest of Mahienour El-Massry
Exactly one year ago, on 22 September 2019, Mahienour El-Massry was arrested in front the State Security Prosecution office in Cairo, where she was following up on the investigations into a lawyer who was detained. El-Massry remains in detention untilLees verder
Joint oral statement during id WGAD
On 21 September, Lawyers for Lawyers (L4L) and Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada (LRWC) delivered an oral statement during the interactive dialogue with the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (WGAD). L4L and LRWC asked the Council to urge Iran and TurkeyLees verder