Vacancy lawyer-volunteer focus group South Asia
On average 2 hours per week
Do you want to make a difference for colleagues at risk? For lawyers who stand up for the rights of others? Do you want to build a network with lawyers from small and large firms? And would you like to work with a young, dynamic and enthusiastic NGO team on projects with an international focus? This is your chance!
Lawyers for Lawyers (L4L) supports lawyers at risk around the world. We help lawyers to perform their duties as protectors of the rule of law freely and independently and are committed to preventing and ending prosecution of lawyers. Lawyers for Lawyers has an active board, a small office and a network of around 50 lawyers in the Netherlands (divided into focus groups that focus on certain countries / continents), who voluntarily support more than 100 colleagues around the world.
Focus group South Asia
Due to an increasing number of requests from the South Asia region, Lawyers for Lawyers is looking for six new volunteers for the new South Asia focus group. The group will focus on Pakistan, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
The focus group takes responsibility for the following tasks:
- Research into the position of lawyers in the region;
- Contact with lawyers under threat in the region;
- Establish and expand our network in the focus countries;
- Connect and interact with relevant partner organizations;
- Draft letters, papers, report, UPR’s for advocacy purposes;
- Perform urgent actions, such as writing letters, drafting a joint statement, activating the network for urgent lobbying and (local) support;
- Preparing and attending focus group meetings.
What do we ask?
- You are a lawyer or trainee lawyer with an interest in human rights;
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch or one of the languages from the South Asia region is appreciated;
- You are available for 8 hours per month
- You are based in the Netherlands.
What do we offer?
- You will provide support to colleagues under threat, and you will make a difference;
- You will become part of an international network of lawyers;
- You will receive on-boarding training and follow up courses (PO points);
- Invitations to Lawyers for Lawyers events;
Please send us an email on: email@example.com
Chinese New Year: situation of lawyers in the Year of the Rat
新年快乐 (happy new year)! Today marks the start of the Chinese New Year and the start of the Spring Festival. Unfortunately, the Year of the Rat does not seem to bring prosperity and happiness for many human rights lawyers andLees verder
Toolkit on Lawyers at Risk
On the occasion of the International Day of Endangered Lawyers, the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI) launched a Toolkit on Lawyers at Risk to further advance its protection of lawyers’ mandate. Lawyers for Lawyers contributed to the Toolkit.Lees verder
Waleed Abu Al-Khair on hunger strike
On 9 January 2019, prominent Saudi Arabian human rights lawyer Waleed Abu Al-Khair was transferred to King Fahd Hospital in Jeddah. Abu-Khair’s health deteriorated radically after he restarted his hunger strike on 11 December 2019, after he was being putLees verder
Egyptian human rights lawyer Gamel Eid assaulted
On 29 December 2019, the Egyptian human rights lawyer Gamel Eid was physically attacked by armed men who appeared to have been security forces. This was reported by Human Rights Watch. Eid is a prominent human rights lawyer and the executive director of theLees verder